- 1 thumb-size of young ginger
- 1 thumb-size of galangal (blue ginger)
- 2 pcs of shallots
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4 stalks of lemongrass (use only the white part)
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin 1L of water
- 1 tbsp of turmeric powder
- 6 pcs of bay leaves
- 1 pc of chicken stock cube
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1kg of whole chicken (quartered)
Note: feel free to increase the amount used to make more crispy bits
- 50g of rice flour
- 10g of cornflour
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- 100ml of broth
- Using a food processor, roughly blend 1 thumb-size of young ginger, 1 thumb-size of galangal (blue ginger), 2 pcs of shallots, 4 cloves of garlic and 4 stalks of lemongrass (only the white part).
- Heat up the pot and dry fry (using no oil) 1 tbsp of coriander seeds and ½ tsp of cumin. Stir them in the pot to avoid burning them.
- Add 1L of water, the blended ingredients and 1 tbsp of turmeric powder into the pot and mix well.
- Add in 6 pcs of bay leaves, 1 pc of chicken stock cube and 1 tsp of salt. Mix and bring to boil.
- Add in 1kg of whole chicken (quartered) and boil for 10 mins with the pot lid on.
- Turn the chicken pieces around and boil for another 10 mins with the pot lid on as well. Use low heat to simmer the broth.
- Turn the fire off and set aside for at least an hour, soaking the chicken in the broth.
- Ensure that the broth is savoury enough for your taste, else add more salt.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and let it air-dry for a while as this allows the batter to stay on the chicken more easily.
- Strain the broth
- In a separate bowl, mix together 50g of rice flour, 10g of cornflour and ½ tsp of baking powder.
- Add 100ml of strained broth into the mixture while still stirring the mixture. Mix well to achieve a thin batter.
- Prepare a pot of hot oil for deep-frying. Fry over medium heat to avoid burning the chicken.
- Coat the chicken pieces in the batter and fry the chicken with the skin side down first.
- Avoid overcrowding the pot, else the oil temperature will drop.
- Let the chicken sit for a while before flipping them to the other side.
- Fry till chicken is crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from oil and set aside.
- Using a spoon, drip the remaining batter into the pot of hot oil, 1 tbsp at a time. Fry till golden brown and remove from oil.
- Before serving, smash the chicken with the flat side of a cleaver.
- Top the chicken with the crispy batter bits and serve with rice.